When warm weather arrives, it’s only natural to want to get out and enjoy the sun’s glorious rays. But as much as we love the look of sun-kissed skin, it’s also important to protect your skin to keep it looking healthy and youthful.
Take into consideration the following skin care tips and you will be well on your way to enjoying all that summer has to offer.
- Make sun protection part of your daily routine. It’s one of the best long-term investments you’ll ever make. UVA rays are strong year-round and UVB rays are more intense during mid-day, spring and summer. Wear a moisturizing sunscreen on your face year-round, preferably with an SPF of 15 or higher. Choose a vitamin-enriched lotion that won’t clog pores.
- Want that summer glow without damaging your skin? A sunless tan is quick, easy and provides beautiful results. I recommend applying a sunless tanner one to three times a week, but this can vary from person to person. If you reapply too frequently – for example every day – the results may look unnatural.
- It’s important to remember another important step in keeping your skin in tip-top shape: exfoliating. Whether it’s before you apply a sunless tanner or after you’ve been dipping your toes in the pool, exfoliating helps produce a smoother surface and keeps your skin looking toned. Removing dead skin cells from the top layer of facial skin with a scrub cleanser not only gives a smooth surface for applying a sunless tanner, but also enhances the penetration of moisturizers.
- Follow your shower or bath with application of a moisturizer, especially after you exfoliate. Use moisturizers specifically designed for the body; they tend to have richer emollients. Spray moisturizers are particularly convenient to use on bare legs in the summer.
- Finally, don’t forget toning. Toners are an excellent way to remove residual dead skin cells, dirt, oil and makeup. In hot weather, try keeping a bottle of toner in your refrigerator and apply to your neck, inside your wrists and inner ankles for an immediate cooling effect.
She is the author of Vitamin Weed, Kratom is Medicine, CBD Oil For Health, Train Your Brain To Get Thin, and Journal Yourself To Health.